The kit contains
- 1 Filament runout module with 70cm wire
- 2x1 pin dupont connectors (accessory)
- This sensor is compatible with RAMPS 1.4 electronic board and equivalent
- Can be installed on any reprap 3D printers with a firmware that supports this feature
- Compatible with Marlin Firmware (tested with RC8 version)
- Compatible with 1.75mm OR 3mm filament depending on the selected version
- Compatible with 3mm OR 1.75mm filament depending on the selected version
This sensor is to be placed at the entrance of your extruder
The filament has to go through the sensor box
When the filament is running out, the sensor will trigger.
The firmware will then trigger a filament change action
Filament runout steps
- The printer is stopping
- The nozzle will go up a little bit and will park on 1 corner of your print volume
- The filament is extrated
- A message appears on your LCD screen asking to change the filament and to press a key . Also a beeping sound is triggered
- The extruder will then extrude some filament into the nozzle. A new menu appears that allows you to push more filament if required
- A last validation is required by the user to continue printing
- The printer will resume printing where it left over
Wiring on RAMPS 1.4 boards
- Connect the 3 pin connector on the last colomn of the "Servo" dedicated pins
- The 2 pins used by the sensor are the one on top and at the bottom of the last coloumn. The middle pin is not used.
- Here the polarity has no importance, but for clarity you can connect the black wire to the bottom pin and the red wire to the top pin
Wiring on Rumba boards
On Rumba boards, you will need to connect the module on AUX3 port on pins PWM_1 et GND
Marlin firmware changes
The changes presented here corresponds to Marlin RC8 firmware.
The procedure is similar with other version of marlin that supports this feature. Marlin RC8 and above are available for Scalar 3D printer. You will also find the procedure to upgrade your firmware.
Enable the filament change feature
You first need to enable the filament change feature
Look in file Configuration_adv.h
- Uncoment line 602 "#define FILAMENT_CHANGE_FEATURE"
- At line 692 and 697 define the length of filament to extruder and to retract. 120mm is a good starting point for Scalar 3D printer users.
Enable Filament runout feature
In file Configuration.h
- Uncomment line 776 "#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR"
- Now upload this firmware to your 3D printer in order to activate this feature.